--------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day of Rapture

photo by Mike Guerena 
So, I am still here and all my friends are here after Saturday's misinterpretation of end of the world.  For my possible last day on earth or last day in Los Angeles, I decided to make plans all about me. There were many loose ends and plans in the air, but I knew I had ingredients for a good day and hoped it would all come together. In the end it was a perfect day-one I will remember for many months to come.  When sharing this over lunch with a friend on Monday,  I shared a perfect day story and he suggested I write the preacher predicting the end of the world.  I decided blogging was enough.
The day started as most of my Saturdays start-at Mother's Beach in Marina del Rey on the water.  I've been rowing for about a year and enjoy the people I've met through the club and the sport.  Saturdays are a regular thing where I am on a late boat with mostly a ladies eight crew but often we have a mixed with a few fellas joining in.  I was the coxain-the person in charge of a boat, particularly its navigation and steering-according to wikipedia-(yes yes-lovely source).  That definition is just what I do-not a lot of coaching or drills but the main goal is not to hit anything and keep composure in the boat.  The boat was my first time in the "new" boat and as my friend says is steers like the Titanic and I found the statement to be true.

Since we hit nothing, I chalked it up to a good day on the water. I had coffee and a bagel with a boat mate and then headed downtown.  The variable was to meet up with the SCV twitta crew or a few friends that live downtown.  I missed the twitta crew but did find my downtown peeps and was able to look at the pitcrews, the soapbox cars, costumes, and the crowds. Pershing Square worked the best for dealing with crowds but the heat and sun was too much.
I said good bye to Ava as she'd had enough fun after watching a few runs and Frank and I watched a few more then headed to the bar of the Boneventure Hotel and had drinks and snacks.  It was there where we met Mike and Maiya taking a set of Rapture photos that I ended up posing for as well. Boneventure bar food was good. We had lobster rolls and fried chicken sliders (waffle bun) as well as chicken sausage. I'd skip the lobster rolls but the fancy take on fried chicken and waffles was so good! I said good bye to Frank and had an hour or 2 to kill before meeting Jeremy for dinner.

I ate too much in the snacking department that I killed an hour walking around downtown LA so I'd be ready to eat again and just to see what activity was still happening with the Soapbox Derby. The Derby was over but there were lots of happy people on the street and lots of hills and stairs to take so I got a mini workout and as my grandmother would say, "went  'kodaking'" (taking many pictures) downtown.

Jeremy works the graveyard shift so his day was just beginning. As I drove toward Eagle Rock, I started to wonder if he really wanted to see me since he told me to meet him at 6pm-time of Judgement or whatever with Rapture. That just brought a smirk to my face and it widened into a smile since I have been wanting to eat at CaCao in Eagle Rock ever since I heard of it a few years back. They have a sampler plate of duck and boar that I've been dying to give a go but even some of my food blogger friends weren't having it. If this was going to be my last meal, CaCao Mexicatessen was the place. Not only did we get the Maya Sampler, the chips and salsa were out of this world and I had Camorones and Jeremy saw the Don Marcos-very hot- taco and seemed pleased.
Nothing much to do after an early dinner and an early day out plus sitting in the sun- so I headed home. I was gone a good 14 hours and really had a wonderful day of rapture! _______________________ _________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment